Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) is warning that if left unchecked Google will end up “skewing elections.” Smith made the claim during an interview on Breitbart to discuss Google CEO Sundar Pichai’s recent hearing on Capitol Hill regarding political censorship. A key issue during the hearing was whether or not the Google search engine was manipulated
Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) is warning that if left unchecked Google will end up “skewing elections.” Smith made the claim during an interview on Breitbart to discuss Google CEO Sundar Pichai’s recent hearing on Capitol Hill regarding political censorship. A key issue during the hearing was whether or not the Google search engine was manipulated to benefit “ideologically friendly” (NOT conservative) websites or results which then, of course, affects the flow of information to America’s voters. Read more…
Here’s more from Breitbart…
Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX) joined Breitbart News Daily on Thursday to talk about Google CEO Sundar Pichai’s recent hearing in front of the House Judiciary Committee. Smith said that if Google continues on the same course, it will end up “skewing elections.”
Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX) challenged Google CEO Sundar Pichai during a recent hearing in front of the House Judiciary Committee on the topic of political censorship on the Google platforms, namely their search engine.
During the hearing, Pichai and Smith went back and forth about whether or not Google employees can manipulate the Google search engine to favor “ideologically-friendly” sites and disfavor other conservative sites.
PICHAI: “It is not possible for an individual employee or groups of employees to manipulate our search results. We have a robust framework, including many steps in the process.”
Instead of blaming the parents of a seven-year-old girl who died at the border for having had no food or drink for several days – despite the best efforts of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) – Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA) and her ilk are blaming law enforcement as proof positive that the 6,000-strong caravan of “asylum-seekers” in Tijuana must be admitted into the U.S. “This is tragic. We need a full and thorough account of what happened before this 7-year-old girl died of dehydration and exhaustion in CBP custody,” Harris tweeted. Naturally, the leftist media is using the incident as “proof” the Trump administration hates children and migrants.
Here’s more from The Daily Wire…
In a true tragedy, a 7-year-old girl died last Friday after she and her parents, along with 160 others, crossed the U.S.-Mexico border illegally and surrendered to U.S. Border Patrol agents December 6. Eight hours later, the Guatemalan girl suffered seizures and was flown to an El Paso, Texas hospital, The Washington Post reported.
The girl went into cardiac arrest and “was revived,” the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) told the Post. “However, the child did not recover and died at the hospital less than 24 hours after being transported,” CBP said. The CBP also said the girl “reportedly had not eaten or consumed water for several days.”
Now, one might think the parents of the young girl might bear the brunt of the blame. But to liberals and Democrats — especially those who want to run for president in 2020 — the blame goes squarely on President Trump and Republicans.
Senator John Kyl (R-AZ) sent Arizona Governor Doug Ducey (R) a letter Thursday putting forward his resignation from the U.S. Senate, where he has served as the temporary placeholder for the late Senator John McCain, who died August 25 from brain cancer. Kyl, 76, has previously made clear his feelings that President Trump is his own worst enemy at times. What’s at issue here is whether or not the fight between the Senate and House will melt down into abject chaos. The lead-up to the 2020 election will be a scorched-earth campaign with little reprieve. Buckle up, folks.
Here’s more from PJ Media…
WASHINGTON — Sen. Jon Kyl’s (R-Ariz.) placeholder term to fill the seat of late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) had barely started before it was over.
Kyl told Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey in a letter delivered to the governor’s office Thursday that he felt it would be good for a replacement senator to make a fresh start with the 116th Congress beginning in January.
“Thank you for appointing me to the U.S. Senate to fill the vacancy created by John McCain’s death,” Kyl wrote, according to the Arizona Republic. “It has been an honor and a privilege to again serve the people of Arizona.”
“When I accepted your appointment, I agreed to complete the work of the 115th Congress and then reevaluate continuing to serve,” he added. “I have concluded that it would be best if I resign so that your new appointee can begin the new term with all other Senators in January 2019 and can serve a full two (potentially four) years. Therefore, I will resign from the U.S. Senate effective 11:59 p.m. EST December 31, 2018.”
Liberal political “news” website Vox just called for an overhaul of the U.S. Constitution…so that we can elect 29-year-old Democratic socialist Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez President of the United States in 2020. According to Vox cofounder and senior correspondent Matthew Yglesias, “It’s ridiculous that it’s unconstitutional for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to run for president.” Ocasio-Cortez at least showed enough sense to reject the starry-eyed flattery, tweeting, “How about… no.” We might remind Vox and friends that the framers – who were very astute – saw fit to set the age at 35 for a reason. Experience is sort of important.
Here’s more from Fox News…
Liberal political website Vox is getting accused of jumping the shark after publishing an appeal to “fix the Constitution ASAP” so that 29-year-old incoming Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez can run for president – claiming “there’s no time like the present to start working to abolish arbitrary qualifications.”
Wednesday’s lengthy piece, “It’s ridiculous that it’s unconstitutional for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to run for president,” declared that everyone from immigrants to recent college grads should be eligible.
Vox co-founder and senior correspondent Matthew Yglesias wrote that “phenomenon” Ocasio-Cortez “is the biggest star in the Democratic Party,” and therefore it is “completely ridiculous” that the Constitution makes anyone under the age of 35 ineligible to run for president of the United States.
“There’s nothing wrong with old people per se, but essentially everyone has lost a step or two both mentally and physically by their mid-70s,” Yglesias wrote. “The really awful thing about being old is that you just keep getting older over time.”
Money-grubbing California Democrats have their eyes on a new tax cash cow: text messages. According to a report by the San Jose Mercury News, regulators of the Golden State are planning to charge cell phone users a tax for text messaging… to collect taxpayer money to pay for cell phones for low-income residents. So, taxing texts to pay for more texts… The amount has not yet been disclosed but will – if passed – be levied as a flat surcharge along with all the others at the bottom of paying customers’ cell phone bills. If you thought that only a “tax per text” could be worse than another $44.5 MILLION getting shelled out for California’s latest redistribution of wealth endeavors, just wait: It could be retroactive for FIVE YEARS bringing that initial bill to $220 MILLION. Maybe a better approach would be to charge low-income residents to do anything by seeking jobs using their free phones?
Here’s more from The Daily Wire…
In California’s never-ending quest to tax everything, there are new reports that the liberal state may soon levy a tax on text messages.
California state regulators are working on a plan to charge cell phone users a fee for text messaging, all in the name of collecting taxpayer money to pay for programs to make phone service cheaper to low-income residents, the San Jose Mercury News reported.
No one yet knows how much cell phone users would be charged, but the News says the fee would “likely would be billed as a flat surcharge per customer — one of those irksome fees at the bottom of your wireless bill — not a fee per text.”
And cell phone users might have to retroactively pay the fee for the last five years.
Business groups, including the Bay Area Council, California Chamber of Commerce and Silicon Valley Leadership Group and others opposing the idea, calculated the new charges for wireless consumers could total about $44.5 million a year.
Democratic House and Senate Minority leaders Representative Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) may just be getting ahead of themselves in the continuing resolution funding fight. Incredulously, they’re attempting to issue edicts from a position of weakness to President Trump over his border wall funding demands. They demand POTUS drop his long-held ultimatum (and campaign promise) to avoid a government shutdown. At the same time, their refusal to compromise on open borders for secure borders is glaring in its “America last” approach to governance. The upshot of this shortsighted strategy is that the 2020 White House war will almost surely be fought on the field of immigration, and the American people are squarely in the “more security” camp. Good luck, Nancy. Let us know how that turns out.
Here’s more from PJ Media…
WASHINGTON — Ahead of President Trump’s Oval Office sit-down Tuesday with Chuck and Nancy, the Democratic leaders in the House and Senate said Trump should be willing to take his demand for border wall funding off the table.
The continuing resolution, used as a stopgap measure to keep the government open, expires just before Christmas. The House and Senate have reached agreement on everything except border wall funding.
The House included $5 billion for border security in its funding bill, while the Senate version includes $1.6 billion. Trump wants $25 billion; Congress has not yet approved any money to begin work on any of the wall prototypes Trump was shown in California earlier this year. Construction projects announced by the administration have consisted of renovations and improvements to existing fence lines.
“Arizona, together with our Military and Border Patrol, is bracing for a massive surge at a NON-WALLED area. WE WILL NOT LET THEM THROUGH. Big danger. Nancy and Chuck must approve Boarder [sic] Security and the Wall!” Trump tweeted Thursday.
In closed-door congressional testimony Friday, former FBI director James Comey confirmed that the Steele dossier – used in an FISA court to obtain permission to spy on the 2016 Trump campaign – was never verified. Other highlights include his repeated claims of a lack of knowledge related to the most basic questions concerning Hillary’s email investigation, which he oversaw. According to a report by The Daily Wire, “Not only was the dossier…not verified when it was used in the Carter request, Comey admitted, it was still unverified when he was fired six months later.” Despite Comey’s claims of integrity and honor, he has now admitted a minimum of incompetence or perhaps even the existence of a smoking gun on the FISA warrant. This is precisely why the FBI is no longer trusted by the American people.
Here’s more from The Daily Wire…
James Comey, the former FBI director fired by President Trump after he botched the handling of the Hillary Clinton investigation, testified in a closed-door meeting Friday in front of congressional leaders, and some of his responses, including his repeated claims of lack of knowledge or recall, have caused a stir. Perhaps most notable of his comments is his admission that FBI officials had not verified the information in the notorious Democrat-funded Steele dossier when they used it to obtain a FISA warrant for a Trump associate.
On Friday, Comey acknowledged under oath that the FBI used an uncorroborated document funded by the Hillary Clinton campaign and the DNC as “evidence” in officials’ request for a FISA warrant to surveil Trump adviser Carter Page, a key step in the Russia collusion “witch hunt,” as Trump calls it. Not only was the dossier, produced by ex-British intelligence agent Christopher Steele, not verified when it was used in the Carter request, Comey admitted, it was still unverified when he was fired six months later.
British lawmakers released 250 pages of documents this week revealing just how insidious Facebook’s motives are in the war of private data and control of users. Despite its claims to the contrary, it was proved this week that Facebook does in fact sell users’ data, leading to nefarious use by political data companies, and that data is clearly being used to manipulate elections. So much for the “free and secure” Internet. Look soon for Congress to step in with deep regulations.
Here’s more from Fox News…
Facebook is the villain and finally people know it.
About 250 pages of highly confidential documents and company emails that shed light on Facebook’s attitude towards its customers, were released by a British lawmaker this week. But before we dive into that, let’s take a step back and remember Facebook’s first big public scandal.
Last March, the New York Times, along with the Guardian and the Observer in London, uncovered documents proving that the political data firm Cambridge Analytica had improperly acquired data from Facebook. Aleksandr Kogan, a data scientist, had developed an app and given the user data information to Cambridge Analytica. Facebook allowed this app to not only collect data from the app users, but also their friends, resulting in Cambridge Analytica acquiring data from millions of different Facebook users.
The Trump campaign employed Cambridge Analytica in 2016 and it therefore has been painted as some dark ops firm that stole Americans’ privacy for the benefit of the highest paying conservative candidate, who then used it to steal victory from Hillary Clinton through manipulation, fraud, hacking and mystery.
Hillary’s North American tour still isn’t getting any love from Canadians with rock-bottom ticket prices all over the place, and another punch to the gut comes from Judge Royce Lambeth in his opinion on the Servergate scandal. In his scathing opinion this week, Lamberth argued: “At worst, career employees in the State and Justice Departments colluded to scuttle public scrutiny of Clinton, skirt FOIA and hoodwink this court.” Lamberth indicted both the State Department and DOJ very specifically for collusion. And yet she’s still walking free?
Here’s more from Hot Air…
Yes, Virginia, there actually is a corruption scandal in Hillary Clinton’s e-mail choices — or at least that’s what Judge Royce Lamberth thinks. In allowing a lawsuit by Judicial Watch to continue, Lamberth blasted Clinton, the State Department, and the Department of Justice for having “colluded” to stymie the Freedom of Information Act and oversight by Congress and the courts. By hiding her emails on a secret and private server and allowing State to slough off demands to see her communications, the group committed “one of the gravest modern offenses to government transparency.”
In a scathing opinion issued Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge Royce Lamberth said that despite FBI, inspector general and congressional investigations into Clinton’s use of a private account for all her email traffic during her four years as secretary of state, the conservative group Judicial Watch should be permitted to demand documents and additional testimony about the practice.
Lamberth, who has clashed with Clinton and her aides in cases dating back to her husband’s administration, was unsparing in his assessment of the former secretary’s actions.
In an incredibly obtuse but completely unsurprising move, Tom Perez (formerly Obama’s Secretary of Labor) lamented that the Democratic message “isn’t getting through” to voters in part because of information they’re getting from “the pulpit on Sunday.” The Democrats continue moving to the hard left in tone-deaf fashion in which they’re clearly unable to see the forest for the trees. The reason Trump won in 2016 was his ability to appeal to the populists…of both parties by addressing their concerns, not pontificating to them about what their concerns ought to be. If Dems continue on the present course, 2020 will be like electoral “deja vu all over again.”
Here’s more from The Daily Wire…
Democratic National Committee chairman Tom Perez says his party’s message doesn’t get through in the Midwest because voters there are often influenced by what they hear from “the pulpit on Sunday.”
During a event in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday titled “The Court In Crisis: What’s Next For Progressives After Kavanaugh” summit, Perez said he’s talked with party leaders about why Democrats’ message fails to connect with some voters.
“I’ve learned this from the outreach we’ve done at the DNC. Why aren’t we penetrating, I asked. And I had someone in northwestern Wisconsin tell me, ‘You know what, for most of the people I know, their principal sources of information are Fox News, their NRA newsletter, and the pulpit on Sunday.’ And it should come as a surprise to no one that our message doesn’t penetrate,” Perez said.