The collision course on which the Trump administration and the Chinese communists in Beijing are headed is showing no brake lights as tensions heated up again over Secretary Tillerson’s comments this week
Here’s more from Newsmax:
Prospective US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson better watch his mouth, angry Chinese media said Friday, warning President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee that his threats to block China in the South China Sea were fighting words.
The comments came after the former Exxon Mobil CEO told US senators that he would seek to deny Beijing access to the artificial islands it had been building in the South China Sea.
China’s actions in the region are comparable to Russia’s invasion of Crimea, he said, a comment that did not sit well with the nuclear-armed Asian giant.
If Tillerson acted on his threats, the Chinese state-owned China Daily warned, “It would set a course for devastating confrontation between China and the US.”
Satellite photos show China has been hard at work building military facilities in the contested waters, which are also claimed by the Philippines and Vietnam, among others.
Under US President Barack Obama, Washington has claimed Beijing’s activities in the region threaten freedom of navigation and overflight through the commercially and strategically vital waters.
But is has not taken a position on the ownership of the islets, reefs, and shoals that sit in one of the world’s hotspots.
Tillerson, however, explicitly said the territories “are not rightfully China’s.”
“Unless Washington plans to wage a large scale war in the South China Sea, any other approaches to prevent Chinese access to the islands will be foolish,” the nationalistic Global Times wrote in an editorial.