Elections

Secretary of State Search: Giuliani Removes Himself

Lawyer and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani speaks at a press conference after appearing in court to call for the dismissal of a lawsuit filed against video game giant Activision by former Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega outside Los Angeles Superior Court in Los Angeles, Thursday, Oct. 16, 2014. Noriega sued the gaming giant in July 2014 claiming his likeness was used without permission in the companyís 2012 ìCall of Duty: Black Ops IIî game and that he was portrayed as a murderer and enemy of the state. In court, Giuliani noted that he could not sue for the numerous portrayals of himself in books and film and argued that Noriega should not able to sue Activision Blizzard Inc. for his portrayal. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)

CNN broke the story that Rudy Giuliani had been dumped from the short list for Secretary of State, but that turned out to be false.

Team Trump responded with a correction: Rudy removed himself from the list…for ANY spot in the administration back on November 29th.

Here’s more from Newsmax:

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani is no longer under consideration to serve as U.S. secretary of state under President-elect Donald Trump, the Trump transition team announced Friday after CNN broke the story.

CNN said Giuliani has been told he is no longer in contention for the top U.S. diplomat post.

Other contenders include 2012 Republican presidential nominee and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, retired Adm. James Stavridis, Sen. Bob Corker, former Ford CEO Alan Mulall, and Exxon Mobil Chief Executive Rex Tillerson.

Giuliani had previously publicly campaigned for the post and it was not immediately clear why he had withdrawn.

The transition team said in a statement that he withdrew on November 29.

Giuliani did not just pull himself out of the running for secretary of the state but any position in the administration, the transition team said.

“Rudy would have been an outstanding member of the Cabinet in several roles, but I fully respect and understand his reasons for remaining in the private sector,” said President-elect Trump.

After CNN broke the story, the Trump transition team released the following statement:

President-elect Donald J. Trump today announced that during a meeting with former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani held on November 29, 2016, Mayor Giuliani removed his name from consideration for a position in the new administration.


You Might Also Like